Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Elections 2014

                                                                                                                        11/05/2014

            I woke up today to the news that the same person that was the Governor of Florida will remain in power. There really is no reason to celebrate except for the fact that there are no more political advertisements.
            In a couple of weeks it will be 47 years I have resided in this United States, not just living here as most people do, but taking notice of the way of life and government. For many years I would not talk politics with anyone for to talk politics like religion is to express how you feel about the government and being that everyone feels different it quickly becomes an argument. No need to argue politics, it’s like arguing who is a better boxer, only the final outcome of a bout will yield the result and even then it is not the truth.
            Every two years the American people have to endure weeks of advertisements most of which are borderline illegal. Think about what will happen if I was to make public that you are a thief or a child molester or even a rapist, etc. I would probably be sued and in some states I could face prison time for defamation of character, but in politics you can say whatever you want and you don’t pay the consequences, and just to cover their asses, politicians will have side groups that will make these awful claims or accusations, in case they, the politicians are called on the allegations they can distance themselves from it all by claiming they personally did not say it and if an investigation was to follow, it would take so long to find who actually made the statement that the powers that be don’t pursue it. It is the politics of deception and it is practiced by all three parties, Republicans, Democrats and Independents. Talking about Independents, I have always wondered why this Political Party even exists at all. Let me give you an example: Here in Florida in this election for the Governor seat there were apparently four people running for the job, but most of what anyone heard on television was the contest between Republican Rick Scott the Governor and Democrat ex Governor, ex Republican, ex Independent Charlie Chris. There were three so called debates if I’m not mistaken and not even the mention of the other two candidates. This leads me to confirm what I have always known; The media is bought and paid for by the two main political parties and all those questions that are asked are first run by the candidates participating to make sure no one is embarrassed and forced to tell the truth in the process.
            I found it funny that at the federal level races, The House of Representatives and The Congress, people decided to vote for the Republican Party to control both. I must be living in a different country or what I thought to be obvious maybe was only obvious to me.
            Let’s go back in time a little for you see that the fact that I am not an American born I think gives me better memory it seems and an honest point of view:
            In 1990 Iraq invaded Kuwait and because there is oil, a lot of oil in Kuwait the US under Republican George H. W. Bush put together a coalition of nations which was lead by the US to push back the Iraqi forces out of Kuwait. In the process the Iraqis who were fed up with Saddam Hussein were told by the US Government that if they gave up and allied themselves with the US, Saddam would be removed from power. As we all know, that did not happen and as soon as the coalition left Iraq Saddam’s forces went after those who had helped the US with the vengeance and that created a lot of resentment and mistrust against the US not only from the Iraqis, but with all of the Muslim nations not just in the middle east but around the world.
            Fast forward and in the year 2000 George W. Bush the son of George H. W. Bush was elected. Yes, another Republican, and he decided to go to war against Iraq and finish the job his father had failed at. Supposedly it was to rid Iraq of Weapons of Mass Destruction which there was none. “Bad information” he claimed. This reminds me of when I was a teen in Junior high school; there was this kid I didn’t like and I wanted to beat the shit out of him. He never did anything to me personally but he was a bully to a few other kids, he was a big white boy who was in the football team and on top of everything else he was dating a girl that I liked. I was thirteen years old and this kid was fifteen and so was the girl I liked which meant she wouldn’t have looked at me anyway, but I blamed it on all the circumstances listed above so one day in the yard at lunch time I went up to him and I tapped him on the shoulder and in my real bad broken English and with a very pushy attitude told him that if he looked at me again I was going to beat the hell out of him. He turned his back to me as to ignore me and I don’t know what he told his friends, but he was kind of laughing and so were his friends. I walked away angry but with all the resolve in the world. I waited and waited and he wasn’t looking at me at all so just before the bell for ending recess rang I just couldn’t wait any longer, I needed an excuse, any excuse to get it on with this asshole so I did the only thing left for me to do; I slammed my books against the floor making a loud noise to which he reacted and looked my way and that was all I needed; the fight was on. When the second Gulf war begun that experience was the first thing that came to my mind, yeah the war was on.
            I knew as well as a few other people that there were no WMD, but I didn’t care, I wanted Hussein gone. Did I mention that I was a Republican? It doesn’t sound that way because I can not agree with everything, I can not be a follower; I have a mind of my own and do my own thinking. Just like when the Twin Towers were blown up; as I was watching the second plane hit the second tower I knew it was Osama bin Laden. It took a while to confirm, but informed people knew he had planned and ordered the attack.
            By the way, that was also the fault of the Republicans, the Towers that is. Osama had been friendly with the US while the Soviet Union was at war with
Afghanistan and the US was helping the Afghan people fight the Russians by helping them build underground bunkers to hide in and giving them weapons to fight with, but when that war was over and Bin Laden didn’t play ball with the US any more, well, we can’t have that of course; the US tried to kill him many, many times including during the first Gulf war but missed every single time.
            So now let’s move up in time to the economic collapse of the US and how that collapse dragged many countries into bankruptcy. It did happen while the second Bush was still president, and if you follow all that the banks did, and all the misinformation that was presented to the world, you will see that yes a few Democrats were in on the rape of the economy but it was mostly Republicans that orchestrated the whole enchilada, it was the Bush Administration that proposed the bail out of the banks and other institutions. Shame on him, he knew that he was on the way out of the White House so he proposed and approved all the bailouts for his friends instead of charging them with federal crimes. Yeah, he left the hot potato in the newcomer’s hands, and Obama who had cero experience in politics thought he was doing the right thing by continuing with the bailout of the same institutions that broke the world.
            So, now we are in the sixth year of the Obama Presidency and he was overwhelming elected based on the promises of change, yes change from all the underhanded behavior of the Republican Party which people were sick of. There were many promises made to the American people by Barak Obama, so many good things were promised that I was beginning to think he was a Communist. When you are in the US too long you begin to believe that anyone who wants to do too much good for this country is a Communist, especially when they start talking about women’s rights, equal pay for equal work, the right of every citizen to affordable health care, the end to the wars and our involvement in the Middle East, balancing the budget, etc. I told my daughters not to vote for Obama because I was sure he was a communist. Boy was I wrong; I had experience the same brain washing that 99.9% of Americans suffer from. Within one year I, a Republican, I was behind Obama 80% of the way, because I was still believing some of the rhetoric put out there by the Republican Party.
             One day I decided to get back on track and stop believing everything I saw and heard on TV and started to do research on everything that had to do with our economy and our government and that has gotten me to the point I am at right now. I know that a lot of people do not agree with me because they have been brainwashed thoroughly, and others just because, but I have arrived at the point where I am convinced that what is going on in government right now and has been going on is the private agenda of each and every member of Congress and the House of Representatives to stay in power regardless of what happens to the average citizen, they all have a self preservation at all cost attitude.
            Back to what I was saying about how funny it is to me that people say they voted for the seats in Congress and House of Representatives because they are fed up with the way Republicans do or not do their jobs and still the people made the Republican party the majority in both the House and Congress. This brings to mind a song by Chris Daughtry which says: “be careful what you wish for, ‘cause you just might get it all.”
            It seems that most Americans seem to think that the problems in this country lay with Obama, but it wasn’t Obama that caused the highest unemployment in this country since the Great Depression, it isn’t Obama that shuts down the government when ever Congress doesn’t want to compromise or even negotiate, it isn’t Obama that has been bought and paid for by the medical, insurance and pharmaceutical industries, it also isn’t Obama blocking the Keystone pipeline. People think that Obama should negotiate and bring Congress to the table. Let me tell you what I have done in the same instances that Obama faces with the Republicans and some of the Democrats in congress, because I have been faced with similar situations. I have been called a wetback even though I am not a Mexican, I have been called a nigger even though I am not black, I have been insulted and mistreated because I was not born in the US. In all situations when I was younger and unwise I would beat the living shit out of whomever discriminated against me but as I have gotten older I have opted to do the same as Obama has done: you discriminate against me? You and I have nothing to talk about, end of discussion.
            Playing politics is a very difficult game to play; I applaud Obama for the ways he has handled many a situation and if I were him I would keep implementing those laws or resolutions that I believe to be good for the country. He has two years to go in power and in those two years he should resolve a lot of the issues that are important to him personally. Also there are things like the legalization of Marijuana, I don’t smoke it by choice, but I know enough to know that Marijuana is a safer drug (if you want to call it a drug) than any of the medications put forth by the Pharmaceutical Industry, including aspirin and Ibuprofen, and that is just the problem, the Pharmaceutical Industry has bought Congress and most politicians for they know that if Marijuana gets legalized they face loosing billions or perhaps even trillions of dollars in revenue. I believe it should be regulated and that anyone making any medicine including Marijuana to look appealing to children should be thrown in prison. No exceptions.
            One more thing I would like Obama to do before he leaves office is to bring to an end the embargo against Cuba, it is a failed policy that only hurts the average Cuban citizen and not the government or its leaders. It is time to open full negotiations with Cuba and leave it up to the Cubans in exile to get rid of the Castros and their failed government.
            If we are lucky our next president will be Chris Christie, and maybe the country won’t collapse up on it self. But to all those of you who voted to make the Republican party the majority in the House and Congress, get ready for more unequal pay for women, the abolition of Roe vs Wade, the threat of ending affordable health coverage, the making Marijuana illegal again in the whole country, unemployment raising up near double digits and countless other things like having your kids go off to more oil wars for the sake of a few rich men and who knows, maybe terrorist attacks on our homeland. I hope I am wrong but history stands behind me.


Jorge Rodriguez

No comments:

Post a Comment